Thursday, August 04, 2005

A long journey home

CF was great last night. Addie and his MEETS team shared their experiences while they went to thailand in may/june. Really glad to see a place like thailand opening up to mission work. It's hard going and a very humbling experience, I'm sure. Some of the luxuries which we take for granted back here in singapore are non-existant there. Thinking about this whole mission thing, never really thought of myself as a missionary someday. My mindset is currently that of a 'sender' than a 'goer'. Been reading this book called 'Revolution in World Missions', by Dr K.P. Yohannan, an indian who was saved about 40 years ago in his homeland and who had been dedicating his life to missions ever since. Now based in the US, he founded Gospel for Asia, an organisation that trains new native missionaries and places them in countries like india, nepal, etc. Places in the 10/40 window that's so hard to reach out to. Reading the book really touched me, about his experiences and how he was blessed by the Lord in so many ways. Considered setting aside a bit of money each day so that I can do my part to support a missionary. After Addie's presentation, Evelyn shared a bit of a sermon regarding missions as well. Took down some notes somewhere, maybe I'll post them up here later.

Dropped by the Kelvin's father's wake after CF ended. Good thing it's right next to school. Never really been to a Chrisitian wake before. It's much like a chinese one, except without all those lanterns/altars/paper idols and stuff like that. Ok, there was a small altar with bible and a guestbook on it that I noticed. Never really observed in detail though. Really hope that the Lord will aid him with strength during this period of time. Will try my best to help in any way possible.

Took a long bus ride home, as was my habit after school when activities end late. 156 from clementi bus interchange is no joke. 1 hour and 15 mins at least. But kinda glad for the time also. Usually will take a nap or catch up on some reading during this time. Went back to reading 'Boy Meets Girl', by Joshua Harris again. Really good book talking about relationships and courtships. Not just for couples, but also for singles (like me). Already finished the book once before recently, but decided to go back to it from the beginning again to try and get more insight and better apply what was written in it to my life. After the incident from the last few weeks, felt I should do so. Would recommend the prequel to it also, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", which I got as a baptism gift from Eliz. Thanks sis :)

Regarding the book, was reading through this account that paints a really gruesome picture of how and why Christ died for all of us sinners. Don't really have permission to reproduce it here, so I won't. But if you happen to be in a christian bookshop, read through page 173 to 179, the section called "The Great Rescue". Managed to copy that part into the small notebook that I always carry around with me, so that I can be reminded of it always.

Guess I'm gonna be rather busy in the following weeks to come. Besides coordinating the guitar rehearsals for the upcoming performance in September, got a call from Elaine yesterday asking whether I would be interested to join some IT competition by NTUC. Some mention that SIM would be up againse SMU. The way she sounded over the phone, it's like I don't really have a choice whether I should compete or not -_-". Oh well, guess I'll look into it. Still have a job contract to do, queueing up for River Valley Primary for some guy for a week, from the 22nd till the 29th of this month. Will be paid 100 per day. Can't possibly stay there for 24 hours, so will be spliting with Gary over this one. Don't mind the company if anyone wants to drop by :)

Have to go pick up new lenses and head over to the wake again. Cell's after that in simei. My current lenses are on "borrowed time". Supposed to be monthly's, but already overdue by 2 weeks or so. Simply can't find the time (as well as budget) to get them. Oh well, at least I'll have new lenses for 3 months :)

Quoting a verse taken from http://www.biblegateway.com here. Jeremiah 33:2-3, "This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it - the Lord is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' " Think it's very meaningful, to call upon the Lord. A reminder to us all :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home