Friday, September 22, 2006

Across Singpore

The performances were a success, from last week. Though I still think the atrium is one the last places for a guitar performance, but oh well. At least it's over and I can let my poor thumb rest; it's been swelling and blisters were forming as I've been strumming without a pick, and agressive strumming at that, mostly due to Rang Wo Xiang Yi Xiang. But it's a nice song, and I chose it to be the final piece for friday. Think it's well received, overall. Pity I forgot to pass the camera to one of the girls to help us to take video, as I was rushing to and fro and the event organisers were hurrying us. So there's only the video from the first day.

Hmm been a long day. Went trekking in the afternoon to embark on what I decided to call Project: Across Singapore. Got the idea from Across America, a concert by Art Garfunkel, where he spent 12 years walking across the US. I certainly hope not to take that long to finish this. My idea for this project is to do some exploration, especially on the roads less travelled in Singapore. First hatched this idea when I was doing my reservist in June and we were travelling in a tonner along Lim Chu Kang road. Pretty desolate, but I think it'll be fun to explore the place, and to take shots and do some writing about my experiences when travelling. Actually wanted to explore Lim Chu Kang today, but decided to forgo it as 1. I was starting from school (in the west but still it's pretty far) 2. I started out late (2pm), as I missed an appointment with Sean at 1030 so it got delayed till 1+ in the afternoon. Oh well. So I decided to hit MacRitchie Reservoir, through the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. Hiked from school through to Upper Bukit Timah Road, and to Chestnut Drive for this. So my route looked like this: Clementi Road (school) -> Upper Bukit Timah Road -> Chestnut Drive -> Chestnut Ave. From here, it's offroad.

The Ford Factory along Upper Bukit Timah Road

Signboard at the entrance of the trail

Start of the trail

PUB pipelines along the trail

On a crest, looking back at the trail I blazed

Start of the Catchment path, into Bukit Timah Hill

From here, I entered into the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. Cos I thought I can ask at the Visitor's Center about getting to MacRitchie from here. After enquiring at the Visitor's Center, I almost gave up the idea of getting to MacRitchie. For one, the lady there said it'll take like 2 hours just to get to Rifle Range Road (way to reach my destination), and another 2 hours from there to reach the reservoir. She pleaded with me to give up, as it's already 4.15pm according to the clock there. And she warned that there's snakes out after dark. She has no wish to send out a search party to look for me in case I got lost after dark, as well, since it'll involve recalling her whole team. Her recommended path would be continuing along the PUB pipelines till I hit Rifle Range Road. Which meant that I'll have to backtrack up the hill to Catchment Path to go back to where I turned into the reserve. Really thought of giving up. Then I saw a path indicated on the map that is right next to the Visitor's Center. Some sort of a shortcut to Rifle Range. So I thought, why not? By then it was nearly 5pm, so I had about 2 hours till dark. Walked along the path (cycle track, actually) till I hit the beginning of Rifle Range, where I saw a sign that said MacRitchie Reservoir: 11.9km. So I'm on the right track, good. Decided to run part of the way, to save a bit of time. Good thing was that there were roads to walk on, which enables me to walk faster.

The Singtel Satellite dishes, as seen from Rifle Range flyover

Offroad again, at the end of Rifle Range Road

Rifle Range Link is the name of the trail above

Found this on the path next to Singapore Island Country Club

Caught the sunset off one of the club's ponds

My shot of the day

Sunset from Lornie Road

So all in all, spent about 2 hours getting from Bukit Timah to MacRitchie, or rather Lornie Road. Cheated a bit as it's already starting to get dark, and I have no wish to remain in the forest when it's so. Dead tired at the end of it, with cramps starting to get to me towards the end. But thank God for the strength to finish it. Time to start thinking about where to head to for my next trek.

"If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37:23-24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home