Saturday, June 02, 2007

Busy holidays

Considering that it's my vacation now, I still find myself almost up to my neck doing stuff. Ok, some of it was personal, but there were other matters that were asked of me. Meeting with Eliz, Kenneth, and Caroline on tuesday to discuss about how to promote the club in school, for one. Some interesting ideas thrown about, but ultimately, will require commitment, which I'm not entirely sure the club can provide as a whole. Sigh, really have to develop a culture of commitment and a higher degree of formality, which is lacking a bit, I think. Can be hard when everyone seems to want to go home right after the lessons end and not stay back in the room to jam or practice and have dinner together afterwards. Seems to be the general perception that SIM has nothing to offer besides an education. Can't really be blamed, given the layout of school. It's not really meant for student activities in the first place.

Finally have a sense of closure regarding the things that happened a few months back. Things were talked through, and barriers seem to be broken. But it still won't mean that everything is back to normal. Don't even think that it can. Things may end up distant, though maybe not as much as in the last few months.

Was asked to fix Xinyi's com the same day as well. Seems like her graphics card blew; fan wasn't working when I went over to check. And she was rather flustered about it as she was trying to apply for something online and needed her com badly. With Challenger at East Point only selling PCI-E cards (her motherboard only supported AGP), it seems that the only option was to head to Sim Lim the next day to get it. Went to the PC show to recee for stuff that I was interested to get before heading to Bugis to meet her. Big mistake, I guess. Being a public holiday, the place was PACKED. It's like sardines all being squeezed in a can, a giant one at that, lol. Anyway, got the card and went back to her place to plug it in. Thank God it all worked ok after that, given my rusty experience with replacing computer hardware. Had to settle some driver installations and the uninstalling of the old ones as well, but everything turned out ok. Surprising how technology is becoming so much cheaper. 4 years ago my GF4 Ti 4200 cost like 200 odd. The card that she bought was GF FX 5500, going for $53 in Sim Lim -_-" Ah well. One should be content with what he/she has. Though, from a musician's point of view, this is an exception rather than a rule. How I feel, at least :p

Went back to the PC Show earlier in the day as well. Decided on a WD 80GB portable harddisk. Wanted to get a higher capacity, but some recent news made me think twice and consider hard about my future storage needs. Sigh. It's bound to happen, I guess. Decided against getting a router and just go for the wifi connector, since that's about all I need. Funz wasn't selling the model I was looking for, so have to go back again tomorrow. Hope it's worth it. Don't really want to spend another 30 bucks getting something I might not use in its entirety. 'Sides, my guitar fund needs more inputs. Praying that Kevin's aunt will contact me soon and she will need me for many many many hours.

"What a man desires is unfailing love; better to be poor than a liar. The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble." Proverbs 19:22-23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home