Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Gastric Flu

A number of things happened since I last penned down my thoughts here. Body broke down and got sick on Friday night. Bad case of gastric flu, with high fever, headache, diarrhoea, gastric, nausea, and bad stomach discomfort experienced, not to mention body aches and feeling weak. A humbling experience, I guess. Cos I've been pushing myself too much for some time now, and my body is suffering for it. Didn't really feel like eating much for lunch on Friday; just ate noodles I bought for breakfast and nothing at all for dinner, as I had no appetite. Was mulling over a personal issue then, and didn't have any mood to eat anything at all. Gastrics started to hit after I got to Marina Square to get a new battery for my mp3 player. Diarrhoea by then has also started to set in. Took some cold milo from Mac to help ease the gastric, but not only did it not help at all, it added to my diarrhoea. Decided to head home on 80 as I wanted a direct ride home and not have to change trains, so had to walk to Bugis from MS; already walked down to MS from Parklane, so can imagine the distance covered. Was already feeling cold before I boarded the bus, and the cold climate on the bus didn't help matters at all. Was shivering and did whatever I could to cover my hands. My mum took a look at me when I got home and almost immediately asked me to go see a doctor. Already feeling dazed by then, and getting wrecked by the fever, though I didn't realise I had one then. Collapsed on the sofa for a bit to rest before I managed to find the strength to get up and walk again. Have not felt like this for a long time now, not since after my appendix operation back in 2002 I would think. My last experience with gastric flu wasn't even this bad I think.

More or less collapsed on my bed after getting home from the doc. Popped by 7-11 to get some muffins to eat so that I could take my medication and then sleep after that. Didn't even go online that night. Caught up on some much needed rest, and about 10 or 11 hours to that extent. Only woke up for brunch when my dad bought some fish porridge for me. Stomach was still feeling unwell, and diarrhoea was still ongoing, so didn't really eat much. Went back to bed and only woke up again in the evening for MS. Felt better then already but still not 100%. Pastor Pacer and Girly sang a new song called My Shepherd; the format was in a way similiar to Hear My Cry from last year, but based on Psalm 23 this time around. Made me glad I went for the service. Was still dazed on sunday, yet still managed to find the strength to head back for 7pm and was subsequently asked to serve. Thank God we now have a full-time staff for soundlight, so it's less stress on everyone.

Reality check came back on monday, when some of us had to meet to discuss club stuff again. More or less taking on the mantle of president for the next year. In a way, I feel burdened with this responsibility cos I guess I'm a bit weary from all the work I've been doing for the club in the last few months, and I'm also juggling work and some other commitments and feel I can't give my 100%, at least for the moment. I really have to learn how to delegate effectively. A lot of things seem to be beyond my control: new members not checking their emails and not getting back to us whether they are joining the lessons or buying guitars from us, Joshua also needing some figures from us regarding the classes, expected difficulty in getting rooms for practice/lessons, positions of individual members in the excos not really fixed, and unavailability of some members to meet whenever there's a meeting. It can really bog a person down, with so much to consider both on a micro and macro level. I can only pray that I can find the strength to shoulder on. Have to commit every single step to the Lord.

Was reading this book called Quest for Love, by Elisabeth Elliot recently. It's basically a companion book to her book called Passion and Purity. Didn't know about it when I bought the book in May at some book fair in Suntec. But as I read through the first pages during my time in camp recently, I felt it's addressing some of the things I've been thinking about of courtship and romance, and a timely reminder. It's thought-provoking, as I mentioned to a good sister-in-Christ last night over the phone as I was talking to her and sharing some things and asking her view and advice on courtship. Now am trying to read it whenever I have time outside of work to do so. It shares the general view that there is a person intended for everyone, and shows the reader the trials each couple go through before they get married. Now I'm thinking of getting Passion and Purity, as well as another book called The Mark of a Man, by the same author. Then again, I have to think of the stack of books on my table waiting to be read, and where am I gonna find space to shelve everything. Some spring cleaning is in order, I guess. I'm already running out of space to put cds and dvds. Sigh. I need a proper library... And there's also a new "baby" waiting on the wings somewhere out there. Decided to try the 2nd hand market after talking to Kace about it yesterday; should enable me to save quite a bit and build up some reserves for the future.

"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music." Psalm 57:7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home