Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Blessed New Year

Been a while since I last blogged. Doing this now from the Starbucks at Raffles City, thanks to Wei Tsu who pointed out there's a power point here. Wanted to head to the Mac at Bugis as I spied a power point there a couple of days back, but am skeptical about its availability as it tends to be crowded. So am camped here with a grande americano and a jacket as I'm sitting right under the aircon duct (brr..). Been a long 19 days or so since the last entry, and there's so much on my mind. Wanted to blog much much earlier, like before Christmas, but didn't manage to.

First off, would like to wish all my readers a Blessed Christmas (hey, there ARE 12 days after all :p), and an equally Blessed New Year. Hope God will continue to bless you in whatever you do.

Been kinda busy of late. Ben and Liyen's wedding (congrats, btw) was just before Christmas, and I was roped in as a guitarist. Kinda nervous, being the first wedding I'm playing for, and it showed during Ben's singing of I Will Be Here. His announcement that I am single and available (!) as I was leaving the stage after the song just added to the blush which I was sure was on my face. Ah well.. 6 more months before my resolve ends, and I'm already semi-torn.. But that's another matter to talk about. Or rather, not talk about, in public at least. Can't really afford the distraction now, with so much at stake in my studies. I MUST hold on to my resolve, and to God.

Speedlight camp was held at Prince George's Park (NUS) right after Christmas till saturday, which provided a nice break from all the hustle and bustle of life. Really enjoyed myself, with some new lessons learned from all the sermons and reflections and workshops. Also made some new friends from the Woodlands speedlight side, with my group being the oldest (this year they segregated according to age). Being my "first" camp, I didn't really know what to expect, though the theme, "Hunger", did provide a clue. There's so much to reflect on, that I have to read back on my sermon notes to recollect all my thoughts on the whole camp. Which I've yet to really do yet. Been catching up on my thesis of late. Been typing the pages I zapped months ago into a word document for my literature review. And today as well, even though it's New Year's day. I guess it's gonna be like this for the next few months till I graduate. Need to shift into higher gears or I can kiss my (rather last minute) attempt to get at least a 2nd Lower Honours goodbye. And I'm still lost at OT, not to mention ESAP and need to brush up on my SE. Sigh..

As I looked at all the decorations put up to celebrate Christmas, namely along Orchard (ok, I've not ventured much beyond Bugis lately), I wonder if the people who are have already "celebrated" Christmas really know of its true meaning. That Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God, came down to earth to die for the sins of man that we may receive salvation through Him, and healing for our sicknesses and diseases. That through Him, we may have direct access to the Throne of God, to the Father, without having to go through any priest, as was the case during the times of the Old Testament, where the people had to offer animal sacrifices through the high priest to atone for their sins. Christ gave of Himself that we may now have this privilege. He is now our great High Priest, interceding for us before the Father, and that we can spend eternity with Him in Heaven after our life on earth ends. You may be thinking, what sins did I commit, I'm a good person, I've done good things so I should head to Heaven after I die etc. Salvation is not by good works, but rather by Grace, His gift, alone (Ephesians 2:8-9). And everyone is guilty of sinning against God, one way or another. Ever since Adam took of the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil, sin has entered into this world. To receive salvation, you need to receive His gift. Only through Christ, that we can go to the Father (John 14:6). Because God loved us so much that He provided a way out of sin through His son, Christ, that we may be united with Him again (John 3:16). That's why Christ was willing to suffer for our sakes, to be battered and bruised and betrayed by one of His own disciples, and ultimately, die the most horrible death by being nailed to the cross. Imagine the pain and hurt He felt when He walked the earth.

I know it's a big wall of text. But think about it. It's only through Christ that we can find our salvation and peace. The latter is certainly not easy, given the turmoil of our everyday life. But He has promised us His peace, which is so unlike the peace that the world offers. Think about this, my dear reader, in the last few days before Christmas ends. There's nothing we can give back to Him for His love for us, except our hearts, and that's all He desires.

"'Come now, let us reason together,' says the LORD. 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.' For the mouth of the LORD has spoken." Isaiah 1:18-20

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home