Sunday, January 13, 2008

Reflections of the year past

Really wanted to do this a few days back, but just couldn't find the time or mood to do so. It's a bit late, yeah I know, 13 days into the new year, to think back to the past year, and what I've accomplished, and what regrets I had.

Did start the year with a cheery mood, starting a relationship with HS just 3 days before the start of the year. Though eventually it turned out to be short lived, I guess you can call it a learning experience. You really know who your friends are when you are down in the dumps, those who'll stick by you through thick and thin, and offer words of encouragement from time to time. Especially when I need it the most. To Colin, Ben and Liyen, Cat, Neo, Emily, and even Caroline and Kevin, I just want to say thanks for the ear you lent when I needed a friend to talk to, for all the smses (which I still have in my phone's inbox), for all the guidance, pushing, nagging you all gave at that point in time. With the exams looming in 2 and a half months, you all did your best to help me get back to my feet and prepare for the do-or-die papers, when I was almost ready to give up and sink.

Things aren't that smooth after my exams as well. Guitar exco recruitment was the main priority then, given that we didn't really hand over properly. Eventually found the people, but still, conflicts were bound to happen, which did. I still feel I could have done a better job in getting to know the newcomers better, as well as those who continued from the previous year. Not to mention try to stem the tide of people leaving, which I guess, is something that clubs experience year after year. But still, that aside, did have some fun collaborating with the singing club for a couple of performances. And getting to know some funky people, like Ben Tay, who's most likely gonna take over the mantle. Been fun working together with him on events, planning and stuff. And I don't think I can see anyone else taking over.

Also got to know some new people during the vacation, like Noelle, Rut, Rusyinni, Caleb, Grace, Sok Kheng, and others. Been great working with them in Surbana (thanks to Em's recommendation). Really have to catch up with them again over lunch. Hope to do so soon.

Newcomers to the cell as well, there's been a few. Huiqin when she could join in, Adrian and Jane, Ben Cher, now that he's married to Liyen, and Wei Tsu, my "twin" and fellow ISFJ personality in the cell. Still am surprised somewhat at how we started talking online and the resulting revelation of being kindred spirits. Ah well, more members to add to the worship leaders list. Heh, I'm just being evil here :p But I do hope to raise up another guitarist or musician in the cell, so that the responsibility of praise and worship in the cell can be shared. It's not fun to lug a 30 lb (14+++kg) guitar around, especially on public transport. Speaking of which, that's my new baby, a Taylor GS6 (sitka/flame maple combi), received on the 17th of October, 2007. Really love it a lot, thanks to Brendon and Jarvis for bringing it in for me and for the setup and advice on guitars. I feel I've become a guitar nerd somewhat in the latter half of the year, with all the research I did into guitars and stuff. Did consider the possibility of becoming a luthier, but it won't be cheap to learn, not to mention the apprenticeship needed to learn the trade. I guess it can only be a dream for now. Speaking about guitars, I DO hope to add MORE to my guitar family in the years to come. Red spruce/Myrtle 4.5xp McPherson, Sitka/Indian Rosewood Santa Cruz pre-war dread, and maybe a Cornerstone small jumbo as well. Not forgetting a dehumidifier to keep all these dry :p And a dedicated music room as well. Lol, I'm just drooling at the prospect of such a collection. Won't mind a R Taylor style 1 Bear claw sitka/figured Honduran Mahagony as well. Lalala... I can dream, can't I?

Ben and Liyen's wedding, and subsequent Speedlight camp rounded up the year. I certainly have fond memories of these events, getting to know more friends and learning from them, especially for the wedding and in the buildup to it. Looks like it's gonna be another year filled with weddings for me. Subject of dinner yesterday before MS with Chinglu, Ken and Adrian (worship team in church), when Chinglu commented she was invited to 3 weddings for this year. I had one last week. My sis' coming up at the end of March, and Jon Lau's in June, and Addie and Stef's in October. Hmm, 4 weddings, with more, possibly, coming up by others. Hope my turn can come along as well. All I can do is trust in God, and in His plan and providence for my life. Like what I've mentioned in previous posts, I have my resolve to stay single till graduation, and well, I have to stick to it. I know God will lead me when the right time comes :)

Will this year be better than the last? I certainly hope so, and pray it to be so. Graduation is looming on the horizon, with my final exam date being 3rd June if there are no changes. Need to find a job and settle down in contributing to the national's GDP, and my (very empty) bank accounts, heh. With loans to settle as well, I just hope I can find a good job and be financially independent. Now, back to my literature review, and framework hunting, and survey/interview question preparation, and analysis, report writing, test preparation, and essay writing, and.. and... and...

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home